Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oil and Gas Asia 2011 (OGA 2011)

I was in Kuala Lumpur the past 3 days to attend the Oil and Gas Asia 2011 (OGA 2011) as a visitor. OGA 2011 is held once every two years and the big Malaysian oil and gas players as well as international ones, attend this exhibit to make known their presence in the region. There were also the smaller players as well, which took this opportunity to identify business leads.


There was the use of models for this exhibition and some of them were quite inappropriate considering the Malaysia is a mainly Muslim country. Some of the models were suitably dressed but very tall - at least 1.80 with their heels. But what really caught my attention was that there were people not related to the industry, attending the event just to get the freebies? I know that for certain because these people were not dressed in business wear and were frantically taking the free pens, bags and carthographic maps! I have yet to see Singaporeans do that. Yet.

Overall, it was a humbling experience for me. It is the first time I went to KL in a very long time and the place at the heart of the city center is quite like Singapore. There were also plenty of non-local faces, but the proportion does seem more balance then in Singapore. However, if I could go Malaysia again in the near term, I would probably give KL a miss, and head for the coastal states. After all, why travel so far just to visit Singapore?

No comments:

Post a Comment