Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book buying spree in October

I went on a major book buying spree during October and I think I spent close to SGD 700 dollars!

I bought one career-resource book for my friend's birthday; something on philosophy for my library (I do read philosophy!); and three very expensive books related to the industry I am covering at work.

One was a reference book which cost me SGD 256, which I saved SGD 60  on as I had the Kinokuniya membership card during their promotion period. The other was ordered online and inclusive of shipping, cost me about SGD 240.  The last was a textbook that was SGD 100.

The books you do not read

Although I am tempted to expense the cost of the book, I would like to keep the books for myself as well. This is because, at least I know I can bring the books along with me even if I change my company, unless of course some one knicks it from me from the office.

I was also reminded by sister, who read The Black Swan, that it is not about the books you have read, but those you did not read. The underlying idea is that what you do not know is more important than what you already do know.

But that is besides the point. The reason for buying the books is that I feel slightly inadequate at work and I need some form of structured literature to get me through one more year. Continual learning. It has been three years since I have left the University and I think my career path is more or less fixed. And to be good at what I am doing, I will need to use the free time at work and at home to read up on the industry. And so, even if I feel the temporary pain, I know that it may pay off further down the road. If not, I can always try to sell the books on ebay. Off to the bookstore to get a book jacket!

No comments:

Post a Comment