Thursday, December 24, 2015

A personal review of 2015

I thought it would be useful to review the past twelve months ignoring the portfolio side of things, which has taken a hit. The annual portfolio review will still be carried out at the end of the month in a separate post.

2015 Action Item versus Deliverables

Blog: I intend to blog lesser but have interesting posts of at least 400 words.
Reality: I blogged slightly more than last year mainly because of the postings on my collar bone injury. (35 vs 32 posts). The posts on analysing and predicting the General Elections were the more interesting ones in 2015.

For 2016, I intend to post at least 40 400 words posts and they will contain more photos and charts. 

Investments: I pumped 30k in capital in 2014.
Reality: I pumped 21.5 k in capital in 2015.


For 2016 I intend to invest only 10k in capital. I intend to accumulate cash savings for my future wedding and HDB.

Career: I recently shifted internally in my company to a new position and I have to learn a new market segment. I thus intend to dedicate more time on learning about the segment at work.
Reality: Although I have levelled up significantly during the year, my prospects have been hurt by the challenging market conditions affecting my clients. Opportunities for travelling and client interaction has been limited because of the lack of demand, an ongoing problem with my portfolio.

For 2016, I have focus on survival tactics, meaning pro-actively develop my portfolio and showcasing it to internal and external clients. At the same time, I will have to be on the continual look out for opportunities by talking to friends and classmates.

Finances: There are multiple objectives within this item
1. Save 1 month's salary worth of emergency fund
2. Setup a joint-account
3. Save up for house (to offset principal) and wedding with use in 3-4 years. 
Reality: I have done none of the three objectives and the monies has been channelled to my investments instead.

For 2016, I intend to channel only 10k to investments, with the rest of the funds going to the above objectives.


Self development 
1. Learn a language or at least attempt to use Bahasa Indonesia a bit more.
2. Go for two more overseas holidays.
3. Exercise at least 2 times a week of at least 30 minutes each time.
4. Eat healthy meals (soupy)  and snacks (fruits and vegetables).
Reality:  I managed two overseas holidays in 2014. One was in Penang and the other was a return trip to Australia. I really loved my Australia trip because I drove down to Margaret River. For 2016, I will still aim for 2 overseas trip but one of it will be Japan or Europe, and the other will be a shorter trip to a nearer country.

As per my objective, I took up a business Mandarin class and even had to sit for an exam! The class triggered parts of my brain that have not been in active use since junior college. There were many ladies attending the class, while the few guys were a bit too naughty. For 2016, I aim to complete my part-time diploma course by the third quarter of the year and maybe not go on any courses in the near future.

I have been using the ActiveSG credits and going to the neighbourhood gym more often. I treat it as a form a physiotheraphy for my shoulder which has now been plated. I hope to continue using the gym while switching between running and swimming as well as some football in 2016.

With regard to meals, after having Invisalign on since November, I have been snacking less often. This is because I need to brush my teeth after every meal and I am disincentivised from snacking as such. I will continue with healthier eating habits for 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment