Sunday, November 14, 2010

Buying An Apple iPhone

I thought of buying an Apple iPhone. After all, almost everyone has it and it can help me relieve boredom on those long train rides. However, I have been going to some major telcos' shops and they seem to be sold out. I did give it another thought and it did occur to me that the iPhone is only good if you have a data plan. From casual asking, this would costs about $60 per month and it excludes SMS. An iPhone without data plan means that one cannot readily access facebook or other time wasting website. It would be no different from a iPod Touch, a conclusion that my girlfriend reached. Given these considerations, I think I will wait until iPhone is so commoditized or that data download plans become very competitive, before getting one. Isn't it strange that with more competition on a small island, it is so costly to get an internet data plan on the cheap. Good night everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Rightfully so. I subscribe to Starhub plan and am using iPhone. My bills are always lesser than $50 - which includes copious amounts of email-checking and Facebook-surfing.

    I think you are referring to the Singtel iPhone plans - which cost an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear anony, i am refering to one of the promotions where you can get an iPhone for like $30 buck but you have to sign up for one of those premium plans. i tried looking for available iPhone units with my girlfriend, but they are always sold out with in a few days. that is according to the Customer Service Rep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I am loathe to pay an upfront fee for a phone which has services I hardly use anyway. My current phone bill is usually around S$30 (including GST) and I'd like to keep it that way. I am using a 5.5 year-old Nokia mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I using a Iphone 3G with a M1 corporate plan which includes data plan. Its about 28 plus (including GST) I bought it at the end of last year when Iphone was introduced at M1. I got the 3G version instead of 3GS version as it cost me only $38 as i ported in from Singtel. I would think its a pretty good deal. Maybe you can look out for deals like that. Keep a lookout Stockpicker, i always tell my friends this is value investing. 3G is not as fast as 3GS but it serves the same purpose. 38 bucks is a steal and my phone bills are cheap! P.S I can call 3 friends and I added my gf number. Imagine how much call time i get for free.

    ReplyDelete