Monday, March 22, 2010

Standard & Poor's 500 Guide: The Best Resource For Investing In America

I was looking through my portfolio. As you know, the dollar size is not fantastic but hey, I have had a good streak.

So I was thinking through the advice that I have been reading, namely investing overseas. Singapore is really a small market and there are alot of restrictions in terms of growing you wealth. If it were not for the crash, I doubt I would have found any companies that was worth my investment dollar.

Investing overseas is complicated especially with foreign currency risks as well as taxes what not. If you are unsure, you should Google on tax treatments and see how you can best avoid it.

You can of course try to buy ETFs tracking the US stock market, such as those tracking the Dow or the S&P 500. However, if you are adventurous, you could try buying a copy of the latest edition of Standard & Poor's 500 Guide.

Written by an independent agency and in a hard copy format, you are able to make markings and notes for reference, assuming you are a e-book-phobe like myself. It also has comprehensive financial data and financial ratios for your reference. Wonderful for those aspiring stock picker.

The price might be slightly unsettling for some though but it is a worthy investment nonetheless. If you apply the same rules, but with slight modification to the American context, along with their averages (PE, PB, etc) you should do fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment